Monday, March 26, 2012

22 going on 7

Today I am thankful for school nurses.


While I was at work today, I experienced two lows. The first showed a lovely 54 on my meter, when I had been 187 an hour before. As soon as I checked it, I gave myself some juice and felt better within 10 minutes. The second time was completely different.


I was outside swinging with one of my students and got really nauseated. I immediately thought I had overtreated a low and shot up really high.




And then the Texas heat (HA!) got to me.  It's only MARCH. I started to get really hot. I mean REALLY REALLY hot. So I went inside to get some water. I checked my blood and I was at a cool 129. Ok, I thought. What in the world is going on??


So I go back outside. And feel just as bad. And finally it's time to go back to class when another teacher tells me I should chill out in another room until I feel better. I checked my blood again and was 102. Keep in mind that maybe 5 minutes had passed since my last check. I felt way way way to bad to be at 102. Normally I would celebrate by shouting on the roof top "I'M AT A PERFECT 102!!!!" But in this case, this 102 felt worse than my 54. And I knew I was dropping fast fast fast. 


So the same teacher, who is SO sweet I might add, decided to call the school nurse because I wasn't my bubbly self. Before the nurse got there I tried taking disgusting glucose tablets and had dropped even more. By this point, I was completely embarrassed. When I get embarrassed combined with worry, tears start. Which makes the embarrassment even worse!


But as soon as the nurse got there, I felt like I was 7 years old. I felt helpless and completely leaned on her guidance. I graciously took her peanut butter crackers and munched until I was content. I remember thinking about how the other type 1 diabetics at our school see her everyday. How these sweet little kiddos felt the exact same way I was feeling. Miserable, embarrassed, shaky, hot and a million other feelings.


Although this disease is terrible, I can honestly say I have thought multiple times about how I wish I was diagnosed at a younger age. Other diabetics I have met have usually been living with this since they were a kid. They have experiences that I just do not relate too. For example: having the school nurse nurse you back to a normal blood sugar.


And now I can say I have. Diabetes has made my 22 year old self feel 7. I feel like I have joined the Type 1 diabetes club. This secret kid to nurse talk. I am so grateful to work at a place where someone could help me in a matter of seconds. I can't think of anything more comforting!

1 comment:

Leslye Wilkes said...

Your positive outlook will help you! And what beautiful pictures of you and your guy. Thanks for posting on fb so I could find you.