Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Complicated Complications

Type 1 diabetes can have a lot of complications, especially if you are not in good control of your bg. When I was first diagnosed, it was all I read/heard about. It freaked me out to no belief. The list seemed to be endless. Wanna know why i'm working so hard on this?


  • Heart and blood vessel disease.  Diabetes dramatically increases your risk of various cardiovascular problems, including coronary artery disease with chest pain (angina), heart attack, stroke, narrowing of the arteries (atherosclerosis) and high blood pressure. In fact, about 65 percent of people who have type 1 or type 2 diabetes die of some type of heart or blood vessel disease, according to the American Heart Association.
  • Nerve damage (neuropathy). Poorly controlled blood sugar could cause you to eventually lose all sense of feeling in the affected limbs. 
  • Kidney damage (nephropathy). Severe damage can lead to kidney failure or irreversible end-stage kidney disease, requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant.
  • Eye damage. Diabetes can damage the blood vessels of the retina (diabetic retinopathy), potentially leading to blindness. Diabetes also increases the risk of other serious vision conditions, such as cataracts and glaucoma.
  • Foot damage. Nerve damage in the feet or poor blood flow to the feet increases the risk of various foot complications. Severe damage might require toe, foot or even leg amputation.
  • Skin and mouth conditions. Diabetes may leave you more susceptible to skin problems, including bacterial and fungal infections. Gum infections also may be a concern, especially if you have a history of poor dental hygiene.
  • Osteoporosis. Diabetes may lead to lower than normal bone mineral density, increasing your risk of osteoporosis.
  • Pregnancy complications. High blood sugar levels can be dangerous for both the mother and the baby. The risk of miscarriage, stillbirth and birth defects are increased when diabetes isn't well controlled. For the mother, diabetes increases the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic eye problems (retinopathy), pregnancy-induced high blood pressure and preeclampsia.
  • Hearing problems. Hearing impairments occur more often in people with diabetes.                           (taken from  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-1-diabetes/DS00329/DSECTION=complications)
Scary RIGHT? I am just processing insulin injections and carb counting, and I am hit with THIS? At first it didn't bother me. I had so much to process, it just seemed unreal. About 2 days after I had been diagnosed my eyes became blurry. I started wearing reading glasses; I needed them to see on the computer, but was fine otherwise. Within a matter of days I relied on them for everything. I couldn't read or see anything without them. After some internet research (always a good idea right?) I was firmly convinced I had diabetic retinopathy, which is essentially the retina's bleeding. I made an appointment as soon as I could (dang Christmas time in the way) and before I knew it, I was sitting in the doctors office with my pupil's dilated, unable to see anything. I was so grateful to hear I still had 20/20 vision, and as soon as my blood sugar's went back to normal, so would my eyes. Thankfully, they did within a few days of the visit. Because eye problems are so prevalent is diabetes patients, here's another doctor I add to the list. 


Today I read something that has shaken me to the core. I was reading a blog titled Six Until Me, a type 1 diabetes blog that makes me feel like I am normal. She can always find the funny side to diabetes, and I truly look forward to reading her posts everyday. I missed reading her post yesterday, and I wish I just didn't. This was the first time I read about the dead in bed syndrome. It's when a person with type 1 diabetes dies while sleeping, even though they had great control the day before. %$#@!!!!!!!! I know this has a low chance of happening to me, but my response? What was the likelihood of me developing type 1 diabetes? I AM a number.


I really don't think I have anything to worry about for a while. My blood sugars are still on the higher side because my insulin/carb ratio isn't perfect yet. My doctor and I are increasing it weekly. But what happens when I do get it perfect? All this hard work to make sure I keep the complication away... and then, all of a sudden, I DIE in my sleep? With PERFECT NUMBERS THE DAY BEFORE!?!? Not good for motivation at all.  


On a slightly different note, I experienced my first true low last week. I was working out and ended with Ab Ripper X (I hate you Tony!) when I just didn't feel right. I've experienced low's before, but not like this. Most of my "lows" were in the normal range, but because I was so high before, it felt low to me. I was incredibly shaky and couldn't concentrate. Everything seemed to get slower and slower. I was taking a shower when it really hit me. I had to consciously think about grabbing the shampoo. "Krystle, grab the shampoo. The black one. With your hand." The most basic, everyday thing wasn't easy. I knew I was low so I showered as fast as I could. I checked my bg with my shaky hands and saw 64. I've read stories of people being a lot lower, but this was the lowest I have ever been. I ate a caramel rice cake with PB immediately (must say it was delicious!) and rechecked it 20 minutes later. You're suppose to recheck after 15 minutes, and diagnose accordingly I was at 84, and still felt the exact same. I decided to eat another and began to feel a lot better. I checked it before I ate and was at 260. OOPS. Another mistake.  


My point is, this hasn't been an easy week. This is not a "I am okay with Type 1 diabetes because I am can do everything you can do" post. This is a post about how much I hate this disease and want nothing to do with it. A lot of people who talk about it with me do not understand the severity. "You'll be fine, it will come easy." Right now, I really don't care. I don't want it to come easy, I want it to not exist. 





1 comment:

hsfisher95 said...

Hey, saw you on D-Mom, thought I'd add you to my blogs to follow. I was Dx'd in June 2011 with T1; although I'd been misdiagnosed for the last 11 years with T2... no wonder nothing was working. Hee hee, I had a low yesterday and of course, over treated... I was about to drive so I had to come up FAST... anyway, I look forward to reading your posts! Email me anytime or you can find me on FB at facebook/heathersfisher have a GREAT day!