Monday, February 20, 2012

2 Month Dia-versary

How is February almost over?? I know it is the shortest month, but am in shock that it is almost March. Tomorrow will mark 2 months that I have been officially living with type 1 diabetes. (Who know's how long I've actually had it)  WOW. Can I just say it feels like I've had it for a whole hell of a lot longer than that..

I am amazed at how often type 1 diabetes comes up. I was never aware of it before, but it seems everywhere I go it's right in my face. For example, last week schools in Bryan celebrated "Jump Rope for Heart." I am a manager of an after school program, and walked in around 2:15 to find an assembly about the money they were raising. The second I walk in, the principal of the school is explaining what it means to be healthy to the K-2 group. And you know what? She pulls out her insulin pump and explains that she has type 1 diabetes. Shut the front door!

I love reading Type 1 diabetes blogs. It helps me realize I am not the only one going through this. BUT. I have   yet to actually meet anyone who has type 1 diabetes! As soon as I got the chance to talk with her, I explained that I was just diagnosed. What's even crazier, she found out the exact same way I did, along with the exact same age. I have been wanting an insulin pump for forever (okay maybe only 2 months) and she explained how it works. She has convinced me to get one, and hopefully I can asap. I have a meeting with my endo next Monday and praying he says i'm ready. NO MORE NEEEEEDDDLLLEEEESSSS!!!!! (That's some what of a lie, but LESS needles at least) I am okay with looking like a 1980's business man with a pager in my pocket if it means I don't have to give myself shots 6x a day. can. not. wait.

So, because it has been surrounding me everywhere I go, I've decided to start a project called "Diabetes 365." Starting tomorrow--My 2 month dia-versary-- I am going to take a picture everyday about my world with diabetes. Or just about my life in general. I am excited to document my first year of type 1 and hope there will be a lot more happier pictures than sad ones! I got the idea from the sixuntilme blog. she's awesome.

I'll end with pictures that have made February awesome already!

My brother got married :) He will soon be joining the military and I could not be more excited for him!!

We celebrated Valentine's day at work with a TON of sugary goodness that I completely avoided. (WHOOP!) The picture above is just a FEW of the cupcakes we had for the cupcake walk..not to mention boat loads of candy & cookies. We had face painting, pin the lips on the heart, cupcake walks and different games like bucket toss and musical chairs. It was a success, and the kids loved it!
Valentine's day :)
I had to work that day (11 hours! yuck!) But that cute little boy of mine took me to our favorite Chinese restaurant, chef chao's. You know it's legit when you're the only non-Asian in the place. My candy was NOT sugar free, yipee! I just enjoy them 1 at a time. My main gift is this.  I had to decided between the conference and the new tom's flats. I am not going to tell you that it was an easy decision...but I am seriously excited to go.

This weekend we are celebrating Ben's 22nd birthday back home. Texas de Brazil, here we come! 

Keep a look out for my new project :)


No comments: