Thursday, January 19, 2012

And So We Meet

A relatively new addiction of mine is to obsessively read other people's blogs. I mean, it's the new way to creep! I've been hesitant to start my own because I feel as though my life just is not as interesting as the rest of my friends. (AKA, I'm currently not married, living/traveling around the world or experiencing other exciting things.) But, alas, I've broken down. Mainly because the most life altering experience has happened to me.....


I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this Christmas break. Merry %$#@ing Christmas!


And no, it is not because I had to much sugar as a child.


Let's start with the symptoms I didn't realize were symptoms. About a year and a half ago I started losing weight, but ate whatever I wanted. WHENEVER I wanted. I was constantly hungry but needed new jeans in smaller sizes. Hello! What girl would have a problem with this?? After reading some other symptoms I had (incredibly thirsty, peeing excessively) I assumed I had a thyroid problem. I went to my gynecologist in July of last year for other problems, but told him about the current ones..so he tested my thyroid and everything came back fine.


Fast forward to December. I have become so small that double 00 pants are too loose. Literally nothing fits and I hate how skinny I've become. Literally skeleton size, and really unhealthy looking. Maaaaaaybe I should see another doctor. I go back to the gynecologist for another reason, she takes a urine sample......... and BAM. My whole life is altered. My blood sugar is at 574?? Normal highs are in the 150s? I might have diabetes? I ate some nerds before I came in, is that why it is high? You need to go to the ER immediately! WHAAAAAAT?


Y'all, 574 is beyond danger status. Going in a coma serious. And what's so ridiculous about it all? I NEVER felt bad. NEVER.


So, I head to the ER, check myself in, all the while thinking this ain't no thing. They will just give me something for my blood sugars to go down, and then I'll be home in no time.


oh wait...


I AM PUT IN ICU. OVERNIGHT. I still really had no clue about how my life was going to change. I literally thought I would be given some medications and be on my way. I was put in ICU because I had to be pricked every hour to watch my blood sugar. I was extremely lucky that I was able to go home the next day. The doctor had informed me that I responded well to the little insulin I was given. He thought I would do well with just insulin pills. Which, turns out, was not the case.


Because all of this happened 3 days before Christmas, all endocrinologist's were closed. I took insulin pills for 2 weeks and documented my blood sugars along the way. They were still in the high 300-400 range. The week after Christmas, we found an endocrinologist who had a cancellation. We thankfully were squeezed in! But this is when everything really changed...


Here is where I learned about insulin injections, the importance of my glucometer,
test strips, lancets, carb counting.. and the ever growing list. You mean I can't have all of those yummy pinterest desserts I pinned????


Yes, technically I can. In moderation. With a crap ton of insulin to boot.


So, back to why I'm starting this blog.
1. Most people are unaware of what Type 1 Diabetes is. They assume I did this to myself. INCORRECT. Type 1 Diabetes happens because your body no longer produces insulin. There is no cure. It just. straight. happens. This is normally diagnosed in children, or people who have some family history. (No family history in my case... just a mere .4% of the world who is lucky enough to get it without any family history) Type 2 diabetes are people who have become insulin resistant. Take Paula Dean for example..


2. I have a long journey ahead of me. I wanted a way to vent my frustrations. Rejoice in my new discoveries. Document my life altering experience.


I know I have a long road ahead. Knowing I have to inject myself with insulin at least 4x a day is something I am still not use too. All of my fingers have been pricked to the point of bruising, not to mention my insulin injections on my stomach. Some days I am content with everything. Other days I cry and cry and cry. Other days I want to punch anything and everything. "GIVE ME THE CARBS! ALL I WANT ARE THE CARBS!"


And so we meet....

5 comments:

Theabundantlife said...

Our prayers are with you. May you find meaning in this struggle, cry less and less and find a good punching bag!

Kaitlyn said...

Praying for you, Krystle! Miss you!

Kamille said...

So glad you started this blog. I wish I could have been your nurse you poor girl! One note about the finger pricks, did they teach you about the horse shoe technique? That has helped prevent bruising so much for my patients. Love you girl!

Bobbie said...

So sorry to hear about the illness.I am proud of you for starting this blog.I hope other girls will be helped from this.Love you KrystleLanea!!

KrystleLanea said...

Thanks guys! Kamille- what's the horse shoe technique?!?!?